ponedjeljak, 20. prosinca 2010.

interview with Alexis Farley

I've meet Alexis in Funk hostel in Zagreb, during her European trip. She is funny, friendly and open-minded Canadian girl who loves to travel and has lots of beautiful experiences to share with others...



Anja: What was your first travel experience and can you describe it?

Alexis: My first travel experience was a month long trip to Costa Rica when i was 16. I went to a spanish school there and lived with a family, which was great because I was able to see the beautiful country through a more local perspective. On weekends I was able to travel around the country and got to explore other areas outside of the city including jungles and volcanoes.

Anja:Where have you been so far?

Alexis: I've been to Kenya, Costa Rica, Canada, US, Scotland, N. Ireland, Ireland, England, Portugal, Spain, Italy, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, PolandHungaryAustria, Czech Republic, Slovenia, CroatiaBulgariaRomania, Turkey, and Iran.

Anja: Why did you decided to travel that much?

Alexis: For me, I always have felt that something is missing at home that I discover when travelling. I don't want to base my opinions on the world merely on what I hear from media and others but I want to experience people and places for myself to make my own judgements.

Anja: Do you study something and if you do how are you handling both?

Alexis: I just finished my BA degree in International Development Studies with a minor in Biology. While going to school I also worked full time to save money for my trip.

Anja: How are you financing your trips and do you think is it expensive to travel?

Alexis: I worked for 2 years prior to leaving, while living at home so I was able to save as much money as possible. Right now is a great time to travel for Canadians moneywise because the euro is the at one of the best exchange rates it has been in years. Travelling can be expensive, but it can also be done on a budget and you can stretch your money much farther than I expected. There are so many great resources for travellers now, especially online including couchsurfing.

Anja: What was the most amazing travel adventure that you had?

Alexis: I have had many great experiences and it is hard to select just one experience. But I would have to say my time in Kenya, living and working at an AIDS orphanage was one of the most rewarding and best experiences of my life. It completely changed my outlook on and the direction of my life. After this trip, I decided to change my degree and life plan to concentrate on development with the hope of returning to Africa to do my small part.

Anja: How did you decide to go travel around Africa, where have you been there and what have you done there?

Alexis: When I was in my 3rd year of university studying Biology, I was having a really diffcult time and kept repressing the feeling that I was not doing what I was meant to be doing and just a general sense of unfullfillment and unhappiness. This all culminated in my rather fast decision to leave for 3 months to go to Africa and volunteer to experience a less comfortable life and hopefully gain some gratitude for all that I had in my life and a sense of contentment.

Anja: How would you describe the feeling to wake up completely alone somewhere in Africa?

Alexis: Scary but exhilirating and slightly addictive.

Anja: How did your parents react when you told them that you are going to Middle East or to Africa?

Alexis: At first my Dad was extremely hesitant and resisted my trip because it was really out of nowhere that this idea came. However, after a day or so he warmed up to the idea and was supportive. He was extremely worried the entire time I was there.

Anja: Did you ever regret traveling and why?

Alexis: There are moments, bad days, where I think to myself "What the hell am i doing?!" and I want nothing more than to go home and have my own bed and the comforts of home. Also, it is difficult to be away from family during the holidays and special occassions and events that I am missing. But then I will have an amazing experience, meet new people, and see incredible things that makes me realize its all worth it.

Anja: You are traveling at the moment, where are you now and what is your plan for this trip?

Alexis: Yes, I am currently travelling. I started in the UK and have been travelling east through Europe. I am currently in Istanbul, Turkey and just got here last night from Iran. My plan is to visit Jordan, possibly India, and then make my way to Africa and travel the continent before finding a job there.

Anja: Are you scared when you travel alone and which are pro's and con's for female solo traveler?

Alexis: I have been extremely lucky so far and have not had any extremely scary experiences. There are times though where a situation could have turned out much worse than it did. It can be very lonely travelling alone but it also forces me out of my comfort zone and to talk to people that I may have otherwise missed the opprotunity of meeting if I was with someone.

Anja: What was the most beautiful place that you have visited?

Alexis: There are many beautiful places, and each place has its own unique thing to offer. I would say my personal favorites so far have been Costa Rica, Kenya, Venice, and Central Europe. But it really depends on what you are talking about...architecture, wilderness, people. ect. ect ect.

Anja: You have seen lot of places and have met different cultures and people. If I ask you is the world a nice place to live in what would you say and why?

Alexis: Good alway prevails evil. There are many unfortunate things happening in the world, including climate crisis, pollution, poverty, discrimination, ect, ect. But amongst this you will always find the people doing there own small parts, making their own local contributions to change these evil forces, and so that makes me believe that the world is a great place to live, you just might have to look for it at times amongst the chaos.

Anja: What is the most memorable experience that you have had from your travels?

Alexis: For me I remember the people I meet more than the places I go. And my impression of the places I go are directly influenced by the people I meet there. So meeting people from all over the world and developing friendships with them is the most memorable for me. Also the continual reminder that we are all more similar than different...everyone dances, sings, eats, cries, laughs, tells jokes, ect. Living in a world that often pits people from different cultures and "others" slightly different from them against one another, it is truly amazing to have that constant reminder.

Anja: What was the hardest thing that you had to do or face during your travel adventures?

Alexis: For me, the hardest part about travelling is saying good bye to people. I have met many amazing people but I always am moving on to the next place. So it is difficult to develop connections with people and share incredible experiences and then say goodbye, not knowing who I am going to meet next and where.

Anja: What have you learned from your travels?

Alexis: The world is a small place, every human being is the same, its governments and politics that turn societies against one another. If you take 2 individuals from completely different parts of the world, they will have much more in common than they would expect. Everyone wants to be accepted, loved, and have a good time.

I have also gained much more confidence in my own ability to manage where ever I am and in any circumstance. I might feel like a certain situation is unconquerable at the moment, but once I am able to get through it and then look back and think "wow...I CAN and did make it". Also, the incredible generousity and kindness of complete strangers and humans for their fellow humans is what makes the world go round.

Anja: Which part of the world you want to visit on your next journey and why?

Alexis: AsiaSouth America, and New Zealand. Its the places I have not yet been too and I am so eagar to see. For natural beauty as well as different cultures. There is not one place in the world I would not go to given the opprotunity.

If you want to find out more about Alexis adventures you can check Alexis' Travel Blog!



Nema komentara:

Objavi komentar